These are my first attempt at shorts, and they turned out exactly as I wanted them to – I think I’m beginning to realise that concentration is key to success with this sewing lark!
I made them last night when I got home and used the pattern from my jumpsuit and playsuit and as the basis of the design and then just added some pleats in front and darts at back, pretty much making it up as I went along…..
They have a side zip and a tallish waistband because I wanted them to be high-waisted, and to flare out a bit.
The cuffs are folded to added a bit of volume and then stitched down at the side seams and then I have added a placket at the waistband fastening and finished it off with a vintage french button that I found in a charity shop which is a beautiful deep blue.
The fabric I used to make them was a metre of a rejected print development that I rescued from the destruction pile at work and is a medium weight cotton twill with a small woven lattice design – which from far away looks like little dots!
I love that they are so 40’s/ 50’s looking, and give me the illusion of a waist (something I do not naturally possess), they are also just long enough to be appropriate for work and are super comfortable too!